Margarita Cupcakes with Key Lime Cream Cheese Frosting
Cupcakes:1 package white cake mix
1 can (10 oz.) frozen Margarita mix, thawed
3 egg whites
2 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil
1 Tbsp grated lime zest
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line standard muffin pan with baking cups.
2. In large bowl, combine cake mix, Margarita mix, egg whites and oil using electric mixer.
3. Stir in lime zest; mix completely.
4. Fill prepared pans 2/3 full.
5. Bake 22-24 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean.
6. Cool in pan on cooling rack 5-8 minutes.
7. Remove cupcakes from pan; cool completely.
8. Frost cooled cupcakes with icing and garnish, if desired, with a strawberry and/or lime twist. Can also roll the frosted edges in colored sugar to simulate the salted rim of a Margarita glass.
Yield: 24 cupcakes.
Frosting:8 Tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
2 Tbsp key lime juice (or 1 Tbsp lemon, 1 Tbsp lime)
1 tsp key lime zest or lemon zest
4-5 cups confectioners' sugar
1. In large bowl, cream butter, cream cheese, juice and zest with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
2. Add 4 cups confectioners' sugar, one cup at a time; continue beating until light and fluffy.
3. If icing is too thin add additional sugar 1 Tbsp at a time.